What Do You Think About The Media’s Reaction To This Whole Osama Thing?

‎”I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that” (Thanks Chris, he sent me [here])

“Are we seeking power for power’s sake? Or are we seeking to make the world and our nation better places to live. If we seek the latter, violence can never provide the answer. The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. — Martin Luther King Jr.

I saw this quote floating around the internetz in response to Osama bin Laden’s death. I think Dr. King succinctly summarized much of how I (and many others) feel about the situation.

What Do You Guys Think?

I thought the people celebrating in the streets were idiots, although I understood why they were there. I personally don’t trust my government and think the whole thing was bread and circus to take pressure off of how shitty a job our government’s been doing at… almost everything. I have a really hard time believing that they had to act IMMEDIATELY and had to kill him. When, where and how it was done was all carefully crafted to serve some other complicated goals that have nothing to do with vindication for the attacks.

All I needed to see was one tweet like “Osama bin Laden is dead!” Instead it was a total media take over. Lucky for me I don’t watch the news or TV, but even N.P.R. cancelled all their shows to talk about it all day with different experts…

Well, what thoughts do you have about this whole thing?

13 Responses to What Do You Think About The Media’s Reaction To This Whole Osama Thing?

1. Hey Casey!

I admit that I was enthusiastic about the news. But it was primarily from the standpoint of being an Army veteran who was a Private First Class during 9/11 and feeling proud of my peers for getting the job done. I don’t view this as a victory by any means as the last 10 years should go down in history as one of the United States lowest points since the Civil War. The amount of military killed and casualties combined with the number of Iraq/Afghan/Pakistan innocent civilians killed alone doesn’t justify our insane response. That doesn’t include the blow to our economy that will linger for the next 10 years and the devastating hit we’ve took in terms of our international support and relationships. Lastly, we have constantly undermined and violated our own Constitution and International laws on this rogue endeavor. So yeah, no way was I celebrating on what was a Pyrrhic victory at best.

But I was celebrating the fact that maybe, just maybe, there can be a light at the end of the tunnel for the less than 1% of Americans who serve in the Armed Forces and carry the actual combat burden for the other 99%. I mean over 10 years ago, we were billed as the biggest, baddest military in world history. Then due to incompetent civilian leadership and mild support from American citizens to hold them accountable, the military has spent the last 10 years playing checkers in a chess match.

We can all debate the necessity to fully invade Afghanistan. We can all agree that Iraq was a mistake. I think everyone can agree that it was just to kill or capture Osama Bin Laden. From that standpoint, mission accomplished, and now I feel personally relieved for myself and my brothers and sisters in the military that the burden of victory or defeat is back on the politicians and American people.

Those in uniform did their job, so now I hope they can be brought home.

I really hope they can as well, although I don’t think it will be the case. I just don’t understand why we’re over there at all… Oil? Democracy? I don’t want to think about it too much (yet 😉 ).

2. Chris says:

The quote is a bit wrong read what happened: http://jennajasso.com/mlk-i-mourn/

Regardless of what people think of Obama, Osama, Al-Qaeda, the USA, etc… he was a product of US Intelligence and foreign policy involvement during the Afghan-Russian war. We made him because we need the oil in that region or more precisely, some people need to make money on that oil. Terrorism and The War Against Terrorism are two similar shades of grey, a grey business.

There needs to be a war against greed not islam.

There does need to be a war on greed… I was going to comment about how we’re only over there because of our reliance on oil but… It looks like only 16% of oil comes from the gulf:

People should be FURIOUS that we’re over there to help keep the profits of oil companies high. I guess it’ll take some time for people to wake up. Car/Oil companies historically fucked up our cities, public transportation, trains, etc. all for… some $? And now they’re getting the whole world mad at us.

3. sandra says:

Over 60 years old, I realize that everything in life is not so simple and cut and dry. In regard to violence, I love it that folks don’t like killing. But where is the outrage with street crime and killing when it comes to young people against each other, their community and seniors too?

Where is the outrage against “games” which glorify blood and gore and blowing off people’s head( collective conscious of violence anyone?) Where was the outrage when people were hung just for the color of their skin? Where was the outrage when this nation was stolen and the killings of native americans glorified in cowboy movies? Spare me now the concern over one man…search your soul and see if you are part of a collective conscious of violence.
    Being from a family where my grandad was murdered cold for a social security check, I can tell you our family, who knew the perpetrators were happy they were sentenced to “jail”. But you know what? I guess my grandad’s life didn’t mean much because one of the killers is now OUT. Good behavior????people who felt sorry for the b——-d ??? bleeding hearts???? . So do we think justice was done?
    Life is complicated. It surely is. And to suggest a simple solution admist its complexity is damn hard to one who has been affected. I say: don’t judge until you have truly been there and if you have been there don’t judge because life has its twists and turns.
    This country like many are built on war complexes, institutions and nuclear machines and our children play games to glorify it. So I think for me I will withold judgement.

I’m not concerned over his death and I know there wasn’t a simple solution. I just can’t see what good will come out of this. It’s not like we get to kill him and say “OK terrorists, we’re even now.” As happy as some people are with his death, others are equally pissed.

And you bring up a point I didn’t want to bring up, but yes. There are people dying everywhere all the time for a number of different reasons and there’s no unified effort to do away with these reasons.

Our country is built on violence (land stolen from indians), slavery and corruption. And you’re right. It’s all propagated throughout our media in the form of movies, video games, TV, music, etc.

My point is that this cycle of violence isn’t going to end with more violence. I’ve thoroughly searched my soul on this topic and came up with two options. One: walk away from everything and live a simple life somewhere. Two: Do everything in my power to spark change.

I’m doing my best to spark change. Also, I don’t tend to judge anyone, but I apologize for name calling. I was going to try to call them idiots in a nice way but decided not to.

I would like to ask some of them why they were celebrating. Maybe I’ll figure out a way to do that…

4. Magdalicious says:

You know how I feel about it… more killing doesn’t make anything better, it doesn’t bring anyone back. Not to mention the fishiness of it all.. sigh. As for the idiots in the streets… human beings as a group .. lets just say thank Christ we DON’T actually have a hive mind… bc our intelligence seems to exponentially decrease with numbers.

I think there’s a book out there that talks about how the intelligence of large groups decreases… Can’t remember which one though. Now I want to ask someone who was celebrating what exactly they were celebrating for.

• sandra says:

I’m not for “killing and I qualify that by saying this is culture of violence and it is difficult and one does not know what they will do given circumstance”. But I believe that some of these all of sudden anti killing sentiment is because of politics. I’m firm on that opinion. But I gave an example that is personal and real to me. Tell your theory to the old lady who was accosted and raped and she decides to defend herself. And if by chance the perpetrator dies she does not need to feel she has done anything wrong by defending herself.
      That’s all I’m saying and not apologetically.
      Thanks for sharing your opinion which works for you.

I think my stance on violence/force came across the wrong way. I’ll try to expand on it today. Thanks for your comments though! It got me thinking more about why people were celebrating and I actually did a Google search to help me. I almost instantly got an answer that made it clear to me. Also thanks for calling me out on calling those people stupid. 😛 lol

5. Brian says:

Well first off I’d like to do away with the notion that retaliation to violence with force is wrong. If some country attacked us, we wouldn’t be wrong to carpet bomb their military into oblivion.

That being said, I’m not saying violence in response to violence is always the solution. In this particular case, with our response we’ve caused more damage to ourselves than the 9-11 terrorists attacks did, and there’s no end in sight. Obviously what we’re doing was not the correct response.

We killed Bin laden, but that doesn’t mean anything. We’re not pulling out, and every second we stay over there that just gives the terrorists more and more ideological ammo to radicalize the populace against the US. Thus indirectly we are causing more people to turn to terrorism who otherwise wouldn’t. All we’re doing by staying over there is risking our troops lives and increasing the likelihood of future terrorist attacks against our citizens. -That- is why it is wrong to stay over there. Not because killing terrorists is wrong, they are one of the types of scum of the earth, and deserve to die by their own standard that they have chosen to live by. But we must pull out.

A point I heard somewhere that I found really interesting, was that these wars are really just subsidies for oil. Keeping the middle east secure helps us have a steady supply to it, but it’s also costing us untolds amount of money to sustain it. If the administration was really in favor of developing “green energy,” they wouldn’t care about maintaining our supply to middle east oil. Thus there would be a massive increase in demand for green energy. Instead, they’re subsidizing oil with wars to keep it flowing into the US while also subsidizing green energy because isn’t a large enough demand for it. They’re competing with themselves, and funding both “sides” with tax payer’s money. It’s crazy.

6. Penney Morse says:

I was not out celebrating. War continues in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, and dozens of other places. As far as I’m concerned it is political theatrics that plays into the right wing media machine and need for politicians to get elected. It doesn’t make us safer. It won’t bring back the 1000’s of lives already lost. He was unarmed. Why wasn’t he apprehended? I agree with the comment about all the laws we violated in the action. I agree with the paraphrase of Martin Luther King on violence. Bad things happen to all of us. Terrifying things happen to some of us. All of us need to find our god-spot and forgiveness.