Every Post Doesn’t Need a Picture

I’ve come to the realization that evey post doesn’t need a picture. Mayeb pictures even take away from posting a bit since focus is drawn from what I write. I’ll still have pictures with most of my posts I’m sure, but I will no longer make it a requirement for myself to have pictures along with every post.

The biggest news I have for you today is the release of Supermemo 2.0 for the Palm. This is great news for me because it had become my main method for Chinese study. Ever since I upgraded my Palm (about 6 months ago.) I haven’t been able to use it. Supermemo 2.0 changed that. It is now compatible with Hi-Resolution Palms and a has a bunch of new features that you’re sure to like. Check out the site for the low-down.

[SuperMemo 2.0]

I cannot even begin to explain how helpful using this program has been for my language study.  This isn’t a program that does it for everyone, BUT if you happen to be one of the people the fall in love with using it, you’ll be VERY glad you did.  It makes learning Chinese fun and exciting for me EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.  If you have a Palm, do download the demo and check it out.  I will soon have a page up on my site somewhere with the databases I’ve made already and tips for using it.

I just laid down 15,000NT for 3 months of language class.  I would recommend a person skipping class for 3 months and using the money to buy a Palm, Supermemo and the Pleco dictionary ( http://www.pleco.com/ ) instead (that is if you can try out this stuff first and see if your the kind of person that likes it all.)  Supermemo gets used EVERYDAY and the dictionary almost as frequent.  Getting everything would probably set you back about 11,000NT and I think would be a better investment, especially if you already have a basic understanding of Chinese.

If you have a Palm, both programs can be tested for free, so there’s really nothing to lose.

From the Supermeo site ( http://www.supermemo.com/ ):

1. Save time

With minimum number of repetitions scheduled for you by SuperMemo, you waste no time on repeating material you know well. You will be amazed with what speed and volume of learning you can reach. All that without a decrease in recall

I’ll say it again.  Supermemo is not for everyone, but you try it and find out it’s something you like it could potentially save you LOTS of time, heart ache and money (well, time is money ;).)

OK, enough about Supermemo.  My mind is blank about anything else right now.  I’ll probably get one more post in today because I don’t work this afternoon.  I want to spend some time working on the LETS.

later,

m.

13 Responses to Every Post Doesn’t Need a Picture

1. baby says:

One of my friends is interesting in learning English. Can supermemo be used in learning Chinese?

I think you mean can it be used for learning English. The answer is (with this new one), yes it can. Now that 2.0 works with Hi-Resolution Palms, writing Chinese explinations (to English words) will look fine.

3. kevin says:

So I got the email about version 2.0, and I thought “I bet Miltownkid will be talking about that…” So I checked out Forumosa, did a search for Supermemo 2.0, and there you were! And now from there I’ve re-discovered your blog, too 🙂

Unfortunately, my Palm died a few months ago. Hopefully it just needs a new battery or something, but I haven’t gotten around to fixing it. Now I have motivation, though.

Any chance you could give us a little preview of what the new hi-res characters look like?

Whoa, what happend to spell check? Are explinations something particular to Chinese, or did you mean explanations? 🙂

To mom :P. 😀 I was just thinking about typing my posts in OpenOffice first for spell check. Guess I’ll maybe start that.

To Kevin: Heck ya! I was even going to do a side-by-side comparison of old and new. I think the characters will look better, or worse depending on which Chinese OS you have though (mine is the built in CJKOS of course.)

6. Hello hello!

I started using Supermemo to help me learn Chinese about a year ago. It’s amazing, somehow squeezing its way into my life while eating breakfast and waiting for the MRT. Marvellous!

I think I downloaded the ShiDa database from you – and I must sincerely totally thank you for it. I have been using it daily and adding my own vocab too.

Finally, after slogging and effort, I am at the end of the first ShiDa book, and I am moving to book 2 … but I cannot find your old web site or the download!! Panic!! Can I download it? – I will seriously buy you beers!

I am just about to DL Supermemo 2.0, which should mean I can read NORMAL fonts soon, which is one hilarious side effect of the old software.

Anyway. Super thanks for the efforts. You now have one stumbling Chinese speaker added to your effort!

Cheers

Jonny in Taipei

I’ll try to get a page up with the new and old databases this weekend. I’ll be looking forward to that beer 😉

8. Superb!

Now I’m just trying to work out how to get these hi-res fonts working with Palm Dragon … Argh. Do I need to reinstall PD? I’ll keep trying!

J

9. Hi MTK,

I have just been trawling old Forumosa posts for help, but with no avail!

If you could help me for a second I would be really pleased – I am now trying to install hires fonts on my Palm OS 4.1 Clié running Palm Dragon … and I can’t for the life of me get it working how I want.

It looks like their software is only for OS 5 now??? http://www.pd.com.tw/ – am i right? I downloaded it from them a year ago and it was ok… agrgh

Slightly confused, and appreciative of all your help.

Jonathan

10. If you don’t mind … I’ll slowly blog my solution in this post if people need the help… first off – this DL page has all the old versions on it: http://www.pd.com.tw/download.htm

– I’ll try that first and then see how I get on!

How do the hi res fonts look on your SM 2.0?

J

11. Hi there,

I was just wondering if there was any news on shi-da book two’s S&M upload (i started last week!). I hate to ask, but that’s the only way to get!

I too have bought ‘getting things done’ – MS outlook simply is not built for it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

12. SuperMemo says:

How did you you make you Chinese flash cards for Supermemo? Everytime I try to make them they come out screwed up.

13. MR. Sapo says:

Not every post needs a picture, but they definately add a little something to posts.